Tuesday 8 April 2014

Finding First Tracks

I was taking the dog on a nice two hour walk in the woods spotting squirrels, birds and the gradual oncoming of Spring when near the end I looked down at the muddy path and found these:




I instantly recognised them as deer prints. I'd never seen tracks before, but I'd seen similar shapes on the internet. I was astonished at how clear and well preserved they are. Being not well versed in tracking at all I could've just walked by them, but I'm glad I didn't.

Through analysis some trackers have confirmed these shapes belong to a Roe deer, most probably, but I'm still waiting on some more interpretations of these tracks to be sure. I need to remind myself next time I spot tracks to make a size comparison and take more than one photo for easier identification.

I didn't expect to see my first animal tracks today and they've certainly inspired me to read more about the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment