Tuesday 7 January 2014

Cartography/Geography: 'Omniteras'

Some of you may know that I'm very interested and passionate about natural history, geography and cartography. I've always been interested in maps, really, but I've found myself being ever more drawn to them. I have many maps of Scotland and I collect leaflets from places I've travelled. Now, I don't consider myself a designer by any means, that title falls to a relative of mine, but I think I know enough about geography and have studied maps enough to attempt my own digital rendering of a fictional world. Most fictional geography is used for fantasy fiction, but I don't write fantasy fiction and, truth be told, don't read very much of it. I just enjoy designing maps as a hobby.

A couple of weeks ago I began to draw out a projection for a small isle, but then I decided to carry it over to digital design on the computer. I've been working on this rendering for maybe two or three days, and I'm trying to make it as detailed as possible. I'm extremely proud of what I've made and I'm shocked because I didn't know I could produce such a thing. 

I proudly present to you a small preview of Rainfall Isle, the Lonely Archipelago, from my world of Omniteras, my answer to a close relative's own work:


For those not familiar with Photoshop and map creation of this kind, no map generation software was used. This is all my work utilising various brushes and manipulating photos and effects.

I will be uploading a video of the finished map as this is something very dear to me now and I've spent many hours working on it. 

Taylor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment