Wednesday 1 January 2014

2014

BCUK avatar for 2014.

Well, it's 2014. I thought the 1st January would never arrive. 2013 was probably the longest year of my life, but that's because I managed to do quite a lot. There are a lot of things I'd like to do this year too. I'm going to start camping here in England in the spring and have many nights in the woods, see about a course at Sparsholt and hopefully take a few trips up to Scotland. And of course I'll still be volunteering at Butser Ancient Farm and continuing to practice bushcraft.

Happy New Year.

Edit: 6th January. On top of camping, crafts and everything else, I also want to start tracking this year. I want to learn how to read the land. This, I think, will be the year of trying to understand the land and building upon previous experiences. I didn't feel quite ready to begin learning such skills, but the past two years, especially 2013, have given me the knowledge and therefore a good grasp on nature so I think I'll start now. I know how to identify trees and many geographical features, and I feel at home in these places. I can imagine reading sign of a deer and following it across the woods to find a group standing in a clearing. Tracking is obviously very hard to do, but I'm willing to put the effort in and it seems a very rewarding part of Bushcraft.


Taylor.

No comments:

Post a Comment