Sunday 22 January 2017

BSc Year 1 Progress

Hello. Haven't posted  in a while.



Degree's going well, but (as expected) the workload is increasing swiftly. I've done an evolutionary essay and hedgerow survey report as my formative work, and an essay on boreal forest organisations remits, and a substantial academic portfolio so far for my summative. We've had a few proper lab sessions doing chromatography, pigment/water spectrophotometry and soil analysis. Soon I'll be on a work placement at Lindsay Carrington Ecological Services which is great since I've gotten pretty tired of making fences and doing odd jobs under a ranger. I'll be there for about 4 weeks so it's quite a big undertaking. Apparently I'll be helping with some phase 1 and bat reports. As part of the 'Academic Skills' unit, I've to work on an independent project, which I've chosen to do on wood ants and the vital habitat requirements to sustain their populations in the Caledonian Pinewood ecosystem. It's only secondary research, but I like the fact that I'm allowed to choose my own topic. I'm also becoming increasingly interested in entomology. I did a journal club presentation about late and early Quercus robur phenoforms and the use of late leaf flushing as defence against the winter month Operophtera brumata. So, yes, when I (hopefully) get to year 3, my dissertation will most likely be on  a plant-insect relationship.

Taylor.

1 comment: